This week (25th June 2021 – -) on Chew The Fat we chat to acclaimed pastry chef Aoife Noonan about her brand new venture in food education paired with restaurant-style pastry creations, personally delivered! We also delve into the more unconventional methods of bringing wine to the table by discussing boxed and canned wine.
IN OUR SNAPPY CHEW THE FAT NOTICEBOARD SEGMENT OF FOOD INDUSTRY NEWS, WE’RE COVERING:
- After a year’s hiatus, Food On The Edge is back for its sixth outing in the form of a blended symposium comprising both in-person and virtual events. Swapping Galway for Dublin for the first time since it began in 2015, the venue will be urban farm Airfield Estate in Dundrum on the 18th and 19th October. Founder JP McMahon this week announced the theme as ‘Social Gastronomy’ as well as several first-time speakers in the line-up including Garima Aurora, the first Indian woman to win a Michelin star, acclaimed chef and restaurateur André Chiang, and food writer Alice Zaslavsky as well returning to Food on the Edge: Mark Best, star of Netflix’s ‘Chef’s Table’. Virtual tickets will go on sale in July priced at €95, while in-person tickets will go on sale later in the year from €350 for two days and from €195 for one day. foodontheedge.com
- A new barbecue pop up from the team behind The Glass Curtain is called Birdsong In The City and arrives on Cork’s Harley Street in a limited form on the 24-27th June and 1-4th July. Chef Brian Murray is cooking on a bespoke Basque-style grilling rig, using Irish beef, daily-landed seafood, Skeaghanore chicken, and seasonal local veg. Think grilled cod collar, ocotpus and piquant ceviche, meltingly tender short ribs and spicy piri-piri chicken, as well as ice-cream sandwiches. @birdsong_inthecity
- Chef Danni Barry is turning her hand to gastronomic getaways joining The Wicklow Escape as Executive Chef. Danni has designed a 3 day foodie immersion at the escape aimed at couples and groups of friends, as well as small gatherings, celebrations and occasions. Danni’s menu will showcase the local larder of the South East of the island as well as bringing global inspiration through Danni’s travels and 20 years in kitchens. Formerly known as The Elbowroom Escape in Donard, Co. Wicklow, this new iteration is a rustic and elegant country retreat comprising seven deluxe bedrooms, bookable individually, with an outdoor kitchen, garden terrace and wood-fired hot tub set in an acre a countryside idyll. thewicklowescape.com
- Win 5% at Listoke Distillery! The closest distillery to us here in Co. Louth, Listoke Distillery is hosting a novel raffle offering 5% C shares in their business as well as a second and third prize of £10,000 and £5,000 respectively! So one ticket could potentially win an entrant back 250 or even 500 times its initial value. You could be the newest part-owner of the award-winning family business based in Tinure just outside Drogheda which produces a series of gin expressions under the Listoke brand as well as a new Wise Owl Whiskey and is eyeing up serious international expansion. Entries cost £20 and the competition is open to entries from all over the world until 9th July and, naturally, all entrants must be over 18! raffall.com/listokedistillery
- Making up for precious lost time, Taste of Dublin has announced the festival will return after a year away on September 1 – 5th, 2021. Returning to the Iveagh Gardens, Taste of Dublin will run 12 sessions over five days with tickets starting at €20 (excluding booking fee) on sale from today, Friday, June 25th. Additional sessions have been added to reduce capacity far lower than usual for the outdoor event and the organisers are primed to adapt the festival as it happens in accordance with current restrictions. The line up of chefs and traders is still to be announced but details will be announced over time social media as well as their website: tasteofdublin.ie
Boxes & Cans of Wines
In our discussion section we chew the fat all about the more unconventional and unusual ways to bring wine to market, like boxed wine or canned wines and we talk about options including Wines Direct‘s Boxes of Wine (€49 incl. delivery) as well as the Canned Wine Company, available from WineLab.
The pandemic has prompted lots of people to take new directions in their careers and start exciting new chapters, and very much among them is talented pastry chef Aoife Noonan. Formerly of Restaurant Patrick Guilbaud, Glovers Alley and John Farrell’s stable of restaurants in Dublin, Aoife is now striking out alone, swapping the kitchen fro more personal food experiences including exclusive cookery classes hosted online and hand-delivered restaurant quality pastry creations and desserts. Tune it to the episode to hear more…